The Minnesota State Board of Legal Certification oversees the process by which lawyers in Minnesota may be certified as specialists.
The Board’s responsibilities include:
- Defining the fields of law that are subject to specialty designation
- Accrediting agencies so the agencies can certify lawyers as specialists in a particular field of law
- Setting standards that certifying agencies must meet when certifying lawyers as specialists
- Reviewing and evaluating the agencies’ programs
- Denying or revoking an agency’s accreditation if it fails to comply with the Board’s standards
The certification process gives the public information about qualified lawyers who have earned the right to call themselves specialists in certain fields of law.